Some of My Favorite Books

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler



I finished reading Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler last night and have to tell you, I don't get the name. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I'll admit, but there was a minor (to me) reference to Noah's ark and that's about it. Maybe I was tired and just didn't catch it. Okay, I'm really curious what subtle clues I missed... off to Google it.

I'm back.

Okay, on Amazon, here is part of what Mary Lins had to say in her review:

Noah didn't need a compass, a rudder or a sextant because he wasn't going anywhere; he just bobbed along trying to stay afloat. Liam Pennywell, the 60 year old narrator of Anne Tyler's latest novel, "Noah's Compass", has been getting by without a compass for years.

I guess that's sort of what Noah did in the ark. Huh? Oh well. I liked the book. I always like Anne Tyler's books because they are about real people (well, they aren't real people but they could be) and their lives are "normal," nothing flashy, which I also like. I mean, sometimes I want to read something that is bigger than life, but I prefer novels like Tyler's that are comforting in the details and storytelling.

Highly recommended and if you have your own opinion about the title, please clue me in.
Book Read: Noah's Compass
Author: Anne Tyler
ISBN: 978-0-307-27240-9

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails