Some of My Favorite Books

Saturday, June 23, 2012

In One Person by John Irving


Okay, I just finished John Irving's new book, In One Person. And not a minute too soon. I really like John Irving's writing. Usually. But this book, full of descriptions (not explicit, mind you) of a bisexual man's sexual exploits just didn't do it for me, to use a turn of phrase. And I don't care a bit for Shakespeare (go ahead, shoot me), which is quoted throughout the first part of the book. I don't like reading most classics (again, shoot me), which are referenced (namely Madame Bovary). So, in part, this just wasn't the book for me as far as being able to relate to it goes.

And I am not a prude. I don't mind reading about things of a sexual nature, but this one was more of a "I don't care" than anything else, I guess. I don't know what it was really, but I never felt invested in the story. Can't put my finger on it, to use another turn of phrase.

Toward the end, I felt like it was a textbook, in fact, trying to teach me, the reader, about the AIDS epidemic and transgender phraseology and what not instead of answering some questions (like why didn't Billy Abbott seek out Miss Frost and Kittredge as an adult)?

Oh well. I still enjoyed In One Person. I chuckled aloud more than once (several times each time I read the book, in fact). But this was not my favorite John Irving book.  And I love many of his books, especially The Cider House Rules.

Have you read In One Person? I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

Book Read: In One Person
Author:  John Irving
ISBN: 978-1-4516-6412-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails