Some of My Favorite Books

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Niagara Falls All Over Again by Elizabeth McCracken

Elizabeth McCracken is a wonderful writer. I'd read The Giant's House and Here's Your Hat, What's Your Hurry. Loved them both. I've been saving Niagara Falls All Over Again for a few years. I knew I'd love it, and I guess I wanted a good book to look forward to. She did not disappoint.

Writers like Elizabeth McCracken are the reason I don't write fiction. I'd want to do it just like this, and I don't think I can. I so admire her use of language, her wit, and her subtle way of telling a story.

Cases in point, from Niagara Falls All Over Again:

"Maybe that's all jealousy is, the ability to look into someone's future or past and see your own absence."

And "Her eyebrows matched the rest of her, instead of looking like a proofreader's fat-headed correction:  insert eyebrow here."

This novel has an old-time feel to go along with the old-time story of a pair of vaudeville performers who grow together and apart through the years. Highly highly highly recommended. Go get it and read it.

What are you reading?

Book Read:  Niagara Falls All Over Again
Author:  Elizabeth McCracken
ISBN:  0-385-33648-9

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails