Some of My Favorite Books

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child

Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child by Bob Spitz is a humdinger of a book. For one thing, it's huge. The text goes on to 534 pages and it's so full of fascinating tidbits about the queen of cooking, Julia Child.

In case you've lived in a cave your whole life, you know that Julia Child co-wrote Mastering the Art of French Cooking. This book lets us peek into her life up till that time to see how she came to do such a thing, since Julia McWilliams came from a privileged background and was no cook. 

Her college years, work history as it were, service during World War II all help paint the picture of this larger than life woman who stood 6 foot 3 inches. I told you it was a humdinger, and so was she.


If you like memoirs, biographies, and generally nosing around in other people's lives, read this book. I liked it so much I even watched a few shows from her first season of The French Chef (Boeuf Bourguignon and The French Omelette). I even made an omelette the Julia way and it mostly worked. I cooked mine longer because I don't care for any sort of softness to my eggs, but it was delicious!
 

Book Read: Dearie:  The Remarkable Life of Julia Child
Author:  Bob Spitz


ISBN: 978-0-307-27222-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails