Some of My Favorite Books

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Benediction by Kent Haruf

I heard of the passing of author Kent Haruf on November 30 and went to the library to find one of his books I hadn't read. I found Benediction and finished it yesterday. This novel revolved around Dad Lewis who was dying of cancer in the fictional town of Holt, Colorado. This book was doubly sad because of Mr. Haruf having just died.

Reading parts of this book made me feel like I was reliving when my own dad died several years ago. This is never an easy time and the author brought the act of dying to life, from all perspectives. 

Kent Haruf wrote Plainsong, Eventide, and several other books. If you haven't had the pleasure, pick one up and enjoy. I heard Mr. Haruf speak in Denver at a book signing years ago and he had to be one of the kindest and most gentle people I have ever come across. This was true in person and in his writing.


Book Read:  Benediction
Author:  Kent Haruf

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails