Some of My Favorite Books

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Late last night I finished reading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, and today I noticed that this book is classified as science fiction. Well, I normally don't like or even read science fiction, but I had read a good recommendation for this book so I'm glad I read it before realizing it was science fiction. (grin)

I mean I knew it was science fiction because of the premise:  a horrible flu strain wipes out most of the people on Earth. Not that that couldn't happen or anything, but it was in some ways futuristic in its doomsday message, but I loved this novel. Loved it.

It took a bit to get the gist of this story since it floated between then (pre-flu) and now (post-flu) where time was measured in years after the flu (Year Two, Year Twenty). The story of survival and living in this new reality was interestingly told through some characters I won't soon forget.

I've actually read a couple of other such books with almost end of the world themes:  The Dog Stars by Peter Heller and The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. They were also excellent reads so I guess I like my sci-fi in an end of the world sort of way.


Have you read any of these novels? They are excellent!

Book Read:  Station Eleven
Author:  Emily St. John Mandel


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails