Some of My Favorite Books

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Change in Altitude

I finished reading Anita Shreve's latest book, A Change in Altitude, the other night. As usual, she delivered. Even though, or maybe, because of, her slightly dark writing style, the story sort of creeps into your being and stays with you. The characters are believable, the writing gorgeous, and in the book, the setting, Africa, stark, at least to me. I'm not usually a huge fan of foreign destinations in books, especially ones that seem so remote and out of touch to anything I can relate to, but Shreve makes the characters' lives seem real and something to care about.

In A Change of Altitude, when the group climbs Mount Kenya, I could almost feel the agony, from the shear physical difficulty to the altitude sickness, to the wanting to get down and be done with it, not that I've ever climbed a mountain like that or anything.

Need to take a trip and never leave the farm? Take a little virtual trip to Africa and read A Change in Altitude.


Book ReadA Change in Altitude
Author:  Anita Shreve
ISBN: 978-0-316-02070-1

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails