Some of My Favorite Books

Friday, November 18, 2011

The Last Secret by Mary McGarry Morris


I've read several other books by Mary McGarry Morris and they all have a common theme:  they're dark. The writing is good but it can sure put you in a foul mood. At least it does that to me.

This novel featured a bunch of unlikeable characters. In fact, I can't think of any I could really relate to or that I liked. But it was compelling. It starts with Nora as a teenager who has run off with an older boy Eddie. Their short time together ends with an act that leaves Nora confused, depressed, and feeling bad about herself. Those feelings never really go away, but as an adult she had a boatload of other troubles to deal with. It was gloom and doom throughout, but in spite of that, The Last Secret (which by the way, I figured out right away, not at the end of the book when it was revealed) was a good read.


So, to kick this foul mood, tonight I'm going to start reading Bossypants by Tina Fey! Do you like reading dark books? What's your favorite type of book to read?


Book Read: The Last Secret
Author:  Mary McGarry Morris
ISBN:  978-0-307-45127-9

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails