Some of My Favorite Books

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan is a True Life Dr. House Story


Okay, okay, okay. I am on a streak. I've read more good books lately than I've read in a long time:  


to name a few. I didn't expect Brain on Fire to continue my great book streak, but it did.

I hate to know what's going to happen before I read a book or watch a movie, so I won't give anything (much) away. But if you like a personal story that's intriguing and well written, read this one. 

In 2009, Susannah Cahalan was a reporter for the New York Post when at 24, she started feeling and acting weird. Weird seems like an appropriate word because she didn't know what was wrong with her other than she first noticed something wrong with the way she felt about the same time she noticed a couple of bites on her arm. She thought of bedbugs immediately because it was 2009 and bedbugs were at their heyday in New York City at the time. And she lived in a dump in Hell's Kitchen.

From there, more strange things happened that quickly led to her being hospitalized for continuing unexplained ailments.  She exhibited physical and mental problems that left her nearly catatonic.

Okay, enough. Just read it. 

This story is amazing since it's true and since Cahalan lived to tell her story (very well, I'd say).
 

Book Read:  Brain on Fire:  My Month of Madness
Author:  Susannah Cahalan

1 comment:

  1. I must say that this book drew me in from the opening page. This incredible story of courage, love, resilience, dedication and suspense is all the more remarkable because it is the true story of one young women's journey to hell and back. If this book does not inspire you and give you an appreciation for the power of the human spirit, then nothing will.

    Marlene Detierro (Photo Booth Rental)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails