Some of My Favorite Books

Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

Can Jodi Picoult write a bad book? No, I don't think she can. I finished reading The Storyteller and once again was amazed at her storytelling prowess.

This novel is a departure from her "normal" books. It's set partly in present day where Sage Singer is a baker who works nights and is carrying on an affair with a married man (a funeral director) and in the 1930s and 1940s before and during World War II. Minka, Sage's grandmother, is a young Jewish teenager living with her family in Poland when the Nazis take over. 

Minka writes stories, and a few pages of the main story she is writing are interspersed after each chapter of the book--present day or during the war. Then during the part of the book where Minka is living through World War II, the story becomes part of the bigger story. 

This book is amazing. It was really hard to read in places, and a few nights I had strange dreams after going to sleep right after reading it. So, I read the rest of the hard-to-read parts (the concentration camp narrative) during the day. I'd recommend you do the same, but maybe it won't bother you like it did me.

In any case, don't let that stop you from reading The Storyteller. It is one of the best stories of World War II I've read.

Book Read:  The Storyteller
Author:  Jodi Picoult

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails