Some of My Favorite Books

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn a Winner!

Last night I finished reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. Since this was her debut novel and I read it last, I just realized I read her books in reverse order:
  • I read Gone Girl first; she wrote it last.
  • Then I read Dark Places; she wrote it second. Well, I read this one in the right order!
  • And I just finished Sharp Objects, her first novel.
And they were all good. Very good. I liked Sharp Objects for its frank look at a woman who cut herself. The lead up to this revelation made it all the more plausible. Frankly I wouldn't do that, but Flynn made it seem like a logical act by this character. (I don't want to give anything away so won't say the character's name or say more.)

This novel was suspenseful while being realistic. No earth-shattering tricks were played, and I did figure out whodunnit (sort of!). Some weird little details played out in the final pages, making this quite a pleasure to read!

This quote by Stephen King sums up this book well:  "An admirably nasty piece of work, elevated by sharp writing and sharper insights."

Have you read any of Gillian Flynn's books? If so, what did you think?

Book Read:  Sharp Objects
Author:  Gillian Flynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails