Some of My Favorite Books

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal Essays by Elinor Lipman

I love Elinor Lipman's books. I've read them all, except for her newest novel, The View From Penthouse B. And I have it on my list.


I just finished I Can't Complain and adored it. Each essay was a snippet of her life and views on such wide-ranging topics like what would happen in the series finale of "Sex and the City" (essay titled Assignment:  What Happens Next?) to accepting invitations to everything from weddings to book club and speaking engagements in the essay No Thank You, I Think. 


This lovely book has three sections:  Meet the Family, On Writing, and Coupling Columns. Except for A Fine Nomance, all of these essays appeared in other publications, magazines like Good Housekeeping, More, the Boston Globe, and the Washington Post, to name just a few.

To make it last, I read one section each evening. I will definitely be reading I Can't Complain again. At least once.

If you aren't familiar with Elinor Lipman, please acquaint yourself. Her writing is smart, witty, and always a pleasure to read. 

If you are familiar with her, what's your favorite book?

Book Read:  I Can't Complain:  (All Too) Personal Essays
Author: 
Elinor Lipman

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails