Some of My Favorite Books

Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout

Well, I finished reading The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout late last night, and unexpectedly was sad to see it end. When I first started reading this novel, I considered setting it aside and not reading it at all.

I'm glad I stuck with it. 

The Burgess boys are Jim Burgess, a famous, successful corporate lawyer, and his younger brother Bob, also a lawyer but a Legal Aid attorney. They have a sister Susan, whose son gets into some trouble, in the town in Maine where the Burgess family grew up. The story unfolds with enough conflict centering around immigration, racial tension, marriage, guilt, and so on to keep it interesting. 

And unfold, it does. I liked the book more and more as I read it. Secrets are revealed that change people and it was very well written with realistic story elements that make a good book great for me.

Have you read The Burgess Boys or any of Strout's other books? She also wrote Olive Kitteridge, which she won the Pulitzer Prize for.

Book Read:  The Burgess Boys
Author:  Elizabeth Strout

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails