Some of My Favorite Books

Monday, September 26, 2011

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

  

I finished reading Sarah's Key last night and loved it. Sarah's Key has been made into a movie (starring Kristin Scott Thomas, to be released in November of this year). I think that's where I heard of it. I can just imagine that this story will make a great movie.

A young Jewish girl in France and her family are carted off by the French police on the orders of the Nazis in July 1942. Almost all of the family, that is. That's the clincher. Egad. This story is fiction but based on fact (Jews in France were shipped to Auschwitz, for example), but even with it being fiction, it was told well. The story is original and oh so heartbreaking.

My only gripe was the translation. Since the author is French, I'm assuming that she wrote this book in French. The translation to English was awkward in places and plain strange. Sentences were sometimes repeated almost word for word within a few paragraphs, which makes me wonder what the original writing said.

But, overall I'd recommend this book all day long. And I will definitely watch this movie when it comes out. Let me know if you've read Sarah's Key and what you thought.

Book Read: Sarah's Key
Author:Tatiana de Rosnay
ISBN: 0-312-37084-9

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails