Some of My Favorite Books

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Second Nature by Jacquelyn Mitchard


I finished reading Second Nature:  A Love Story by Jacquelyn Mitchard last night. This was one of those books that I didn't want to end. Or maybe more accurately, I didn't want to read the ending. I was sure something really bad was going to happen to Sicily or her unborn baby.

I won't reveal the ending here but briefly, the story centered on Sicily Coyne, a 25-year-old woman who was badly burned in a fire as a teenager. Her face was destroyed. This novel is set "in a possible but imagined future"according to an author's note at the beginning of the book. Limb and other transplants are often standard practice. Face transplants are occurring during this imagined future. I'll let you add up the pieces from there.

I've read most of Jacquelyn Mitchard's other novels, namely her most popular Oprah pick, The Deep End of the Ocean. Then she continued the Cappadora family's story, whose little boy Ben was kidnapped, in No Time to Wave Good-bye. Second Nature brings them all back again weaving this story in with that family. It was seamless and well done.

Are you a fan of Jacquelyn Mitchard?

Book Read: Second Nature:  A Love Story
Author:  Jacquelyn Mitchard
ISBN:978-1-4000-6775-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails