Some of My Favorite Books

Saturday, October 8, 2011

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson


I got up this morning and only had about 30 pages left to read in my book. So I got up, poured food in Scarlett's bowl, made a pot of coffee, and went back to bed and finished reading In the Garden of Beasts:  Love, Terror, and An American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson. What a book.

I love Erik Larson's books, and this was no exception. He writes nonfiction books about a major historical event along with a personal story of someone who lived through it or affected it in some way. This one was just as good, but the many players (all the SA, SS, Storm Troopers, etc.) made it hard for me to keep track in several places. I don't know my history was well as I should but this is a must-read for anyone who wants to read about the lead up to World War II and the nut job that Hitler was... The Early Years.

William Dodd was assigned by President Roosevelt in 1933 to be America's ambassador to Germany. He took his family (his wife, and grown children, a son and daughter) and made the voyage. His practical and logical reasoning was not welcome by Germans or Americans. No one listened to his warnings about Hitler.

Have you read In the Garden of Beasts? If so, what did you think of it. Have you read any of Erik Larson's other books? Do you have a favorite? I personally liked Isaac's Storm best, I think, though they are all intriguing.

Book Read: In the Garden of the Beasts
Author:  Erik Larson
ISBN:  978-0-307-40884-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails